Monday, July 30, 2012

A lesson to learn from Samwise Gamgee

A few days ago I finished reading "The Lord of the Rings" books. I enjoyed seeing the metaphors  J. R. R. Tolkien put in them.
I was really encouraged by, how loyal Sam was towards Frodo, even when it seemed like Frodo didn't  appreciate all Sam did for him.  Sam never lost hope and was always lifting his friends up caring nothing for himself, sacrificing his own earthly wan'ts and needs for his friends. His character is a great example of a servant.
 I was quite convicted when reading about Sam, and I realized that I treat my own family worse then he treated Frodo who didn't show any thanks for all Sam did for him. I realized how I get awfully short with my little sisters and angry with my brothers. Sam's character encouraged me to, hold my tongue when a sibling might spout out a nasty comment and I feel like shooting back with an even worse one. Another thing was, to be self sacrificing. It made me think of a verse in Proverbs,
 "A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back." 
Proverbs 29:11
This verse has been a wonderful  help to know, and I would encourage you to put it to memory because if it's in your head it will pop up when you feel like saying a unkind word.
 That may be one reason Sam's full name was "Samwise Gamgee". :)
If you read the books, did you see any good character traits in any of the other characters that helped you? I would love to hear about it! And if you have not read "The Lord of the Rings" I encourage you to, they have a lot of great character traits to learn from.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love those movies! I haven't read the books, but my sister has!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!