Thursday, November 22, 2012

Guest Post: God's Warrior

To my sister's dear readers,

Yes, that is correct-- Melody has been hacked!  This is Amy-- her eldest sister.  You may have heard a little bit about me before, but that's elementary right now...

Before I begin my guest post, I want you all to know that Melody, my sister, the authoress of this lovely little blog, has absolutely no idea that I am doing this.  Yep, like I said, she's been hacked and will be surprised to see that her blog has a new post on it!

I just wanted to take some time to tell you about Melody.  She won't brag on herself, so I want to brag on her myself, and give you a little encouragement.

  Melody is the third child in our family-- the first child born after my mom and dad made the decision to trust God in the amount of children that they were to have.  When my mom was pregnant with her, a woman at our church at the time prophesied over her, proclaiming that the baby within would be a "Warrior for the Lord".  My mom, unknowing the baby's gender, and having had 2 girls beforehand, assumed that maybe this meant that this new baby would be a boy-- a strong boy that would grow up into a courageous man, to do great things for the Lord, to greatly advance His kingdom through dramatic, great and mighty acts.  
 Lo, and behold, on November 4, 1998, a baby girl was born.  My parents named her Melody Faith which literally means, "Song of Faith".  In faith they gave their womb to the Lord.  They knew that it wouldn't be easy, everywhere we heard about the financial and domestic difficulties in the abundance of children.  But they believed that God's word says that "children are a gift from the Lord..." (Psalm 127) and that if God is willing to give you a gift, who are you to deny it?  They took a leap of faith, and were blessed.
  Melody was a blessing of a baby.  If you ask my mom, out of the 9 of us so far, she was probably the best-- most easy going and content.
  Melody is 5 years younger than me, but she has always been my best friend.  She has always had a soft and gentle heart.  She has always loved the Lord-- I mean it.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that.  I know it sounds weird, but she has.  God has always, always had His hand on her-- from the womb.  She puts me to shame, as I watch her pray, read her Bible, her zeal, love for the Lord spills over-- contagious.  Her heart for people, missions, inspires me.  I know that God has some amazing plans for her.  

But the question exists, was she prophesied over correctly, as a "warrior for the Lord"?
I mean, what has she done that would warrant her as a warrior?

This is my encouragement to you, my sister's lovely readers.

The main question is, "What does it take to be God's warrior"?  Does it take one doing "great things" for the kingdom like abolishing abortion, feeding thousands of hungry families, providing orphans with homes, rescuing the victims of trafficking?  Maybe.  Those are all wonderful things, they line up with God's word as to what we as Christians are to do, right?  But I think that to become a warrior, one must look deeper than works.  Deep, deep down to your heart and soul.  

Before a knight can attain honor as a warrior, he must first bow his knee.

Becoming God's warrior means to become humble, to bow your knee to Him, and surrender your all.

Melody has not done anything to change the world (yet!).  She has nothing in and of herself to change the world-- it's her heart, fully surrendered to the Lord that makes her His warrior.  The way that she is pliable to His will gives Him the power to use her to advance His kingdom.  As she is faithful in the little things, He will give her greater things.  

When we give our lives over to Him, the works will follow.  When our hearts are fully surrendered to His will, His desires will become ours, our love will conform to His, and we will yearn to carry out His mission.  God's warrior keeps his/her eye on the Captain, practices faithfully with the Sword (the Word of God), and daily combats flesh and devil, standing firm in the truth.  This is all that is required to be God's warrior.

Great and mighty works are a byproduct of this knighthood, not a requirement.  In fact, some of the most chivalrous warriors of the Lord were never known as doing any great and amazing acts. 

My dear reader, you are God's warrior when you surrender yourself to Him.  He doesn't ask for you to feel pressure to change the world.  He simply wants your heart-- that you will love Him, and trust Him with your life.  To be "sold out" for Jesus, and He will take care of the rest.

It takes courage to follow the Lord's will-- the strength found only in that of a warrior of God.

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship."
~Romans 12:1

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
~Ephesians 6:10-17

Be blessed!

~Amy

(I love you, Mel!)

3 comments:

  1. Love you Melody!!! Thanks Amy for giving all of us a glimpse into her heart!!
    Love you guys!
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so sweet Amy! so that is what you were doing late last night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Before a knight can attain honor as a warrior, he must first bow his knee." Wow! I'm still trying to process that...wow! This post reminded me of Sir Knight of the Splendid Way--Melody, you are well on your way to the City Splendid and I pray that God will continue to bless you and keep you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!