Thursday, February 6, 2014

Creating Living Characters

Character creation has been a big favorite of mine when it comes to novel writing. I am making these brand new unique people just waiting for their stories to be told. And boy do they all have stories! What I have learned the most this time is how to create characters that actually feel real. After reading this post from Go Teen Writers, I was really excited. Getting rid of list? No more of those wonderful things that seemed so orderly? I thought I would give it a try, and boy was I surprised.

I began with a regular old interview, I just let my character talk. I closed the laptop, lit a candle and cuddled into a cozy chair to listen to this girl's tale with a notepad and pen. Ellie Fletcher. A harsh broken fourteen year old girl with a lot to say. It was so neat to hear her stories, how her dad left when she was seven, how she never had any real friends, how she had always felt over weight. New things just flow from these characters as you go, things you had no idea they had experienced.  
She truly seemed to come alive, it was amazing.
Ok, she doesn't really look like Ellie. But the whole feel is just like her!
Ellie Fletcher
Don't get me wrong, lists are great. In fact it is a wonderful idea to use them! But it is also great to try out just listening to these characters, putting away the grid, just letting them speak for themselves. 

Well, that's what I have learned from writing this past week.
Thanks for reading, and be sure to check out Go Teen Writers, it is a wonderful resource!

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!