Saturday, April 5, 2014

If I Had Lunch with C. S. Lewis, Review


18228217
If I Had Lunch with C. S. Lewis
By, Alister McGrath

If I Had Lunch with C. S. Lewis, by Alister McGrath is a treasure indeed. If you had lunch with C. S. Lewis you would probably want to discuss those tough questions that Lewis enjoyed answering. Well, McGrath invites you to join him and Lewis to have a lunch and a discussion on those very topics. Using the writings of Lewis, you can read and learn what he would have said on eight different topics including friendship, apologetics, and heaven. Not only will you discuss life's problems, you also get to learn much more about Lewis and his personal life.

I found this book very intriguing. I enjoyed being able to savor every chapter of it slowly, learning from both Lewis and McGrath. What I enjoyed best was getting to know Lewis better, hearing how the different things that happened in his life impacted and changed his writing in many ways. Not only did I learn a lot of history on Lewis himself, I was encouraged and inspired by his determination to prove the existence of God. I enjoyed the fact that McGrath used many quotes from Lewis' books to explain what Lewis would have said to our questions as well as explaining the answer more simply. 

It is definitely a slow read, if you rush you may not be able to enjoy the fullness of Lewis' quotes or the teaching McGrath was explaining. When I had finished it I wanted to learn more of Lewis and wished there had been even more knowledge of his life in the book. But again, the book was more to be discussing life's meaning using Lewis' writing. 

Overall, I loved it. I look forward to reading more of McGraths work, and Lewis'.

Thanks to Tyndale House Publishers for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!