Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Sibling Friendships

  It has been a while since I posted. I must apologize and give you a little information on what I have
been up to. Recently I started reading aloud The Lord of the Rings to my younger siblings, ranging from ages 11 to 3. My little sister Abigail (age seven) has probably been the most interested in it of all of them. We finished The Fellowship of the Ring on my little brothers birthday, and began Two Towers a little later. Abigail loved Gandalf like nuts and nearly cried when he fell with a the Balrog. We are about a third of the way through Two Towers now and they have all picked their favorite characters. Besides reading, we have been building puzzles while I read aloud. But they spend most of the time while I read making fan art. We now have a whole collection of Middle Earth art created by my siblings.

  Having something like this that we all love is a lot of fun. I am pleased that most of them love elves above any other Middle Earth creatures. When we come across a new character they beg me to show them a picture of the character from the movie. It does make me sad that my little siblings can't watch the movies with me. But my little brother has turned the age that my parents are alright with him watching them. So a few weeks back I was home alone with him and he had not seen The Desolation of Smaug yet, so we decided to watch it together.


  This all probably sounds pretty silly, but being able to share something I love with my siblings is awesome. We have all been drawn closer together as we read them. They can relate with something that I can relate with. I make jokes with my five year old sister about Lord of the Rings and she gets them. My three year old brother dresses up as Legolas. My seven year old sister take sit all very seriously and makes pictures of the characters. We spend time with each other more often now that we are determined to read a few pages from the books everyday.



  The point I am trying to make is this, I have found a way to be knit closer to my little siblings. Perhaps it is a bit of a comical way, but I have been drawn closer. It is my simple tiny step at drawing closer to those who are much younger then me. 

  What was the first thing that made you want to be friends with someone? You shared in a common love for something. Or as C. S. Lewis said in The Four Loves, "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one." 
I wanted to be friends with my little siblings. I fond something we all love. 

-Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!