Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Math U See Review

Today I will be doing a review on the Math U See curriculum, namely Pre Algebra. For years I have struggled with grasping math and all of its components. I have tried multiple curricula including: Rod and Staff Math, Teaching Textbooks, Saxon Math, and I have even tried Life of Fred. I at last simply settled with Rod and Staff Math, working through the large amounts of work and struggling to get it all finished while still keeping track of all I was learning. A friend of mine recommended Math U See as a way she found to conquer her math problems. I thought I would give it a try.

I started with Pre Algebra to give myself a refresher on what I had already known, to be able to get used to the new curriculum. Each level in the Math U See curriculum come with a DVD, teacher's text book, a student workbook, and a test booklet. For older students, the manipulatives are optional, I found them handy for certain problems, but not necessary. At first, when I received all of the components, I was a little confused. After reading through the introduction and watching the first video on the DVD, I started to understand how it all works.

After watching your lesson on the DVD, you will go to your workbook and start work page A of the lesson you are on. There are worksheets leading from A to F. If you think you have the concept of the lesson by D, then you take the lesson test. If you pass the lesson test, you move on to the next lesson and repeat. If you happen to not pass, go back and start work page E and move on from there. It is slightly confusing to understand at first, but once you understand how the system works, you will fly through it.

For practical purposes, I have found storing and keeping everything together is more difficult then using just a textbook and workbook. For older students who can watch the videos themselves, it is easier and fine. But when dealing with younger students who need to work with a parent, they may find it hard to be able to make time to do it. Especially if a parent has multiple children who need them to watch it with them as well.

For me personally, I have found the videos to be incredible for helping me grasp concepts. Even having the manipulatives helped me to physically see and understand how something works. The workbook was handy as well with many of the concepts I had already grasped long ago. I was able to get through the tests easily and move on the next lesson at my own timing. Rather then having me work one lesson per day, this gives me the freedom to work longer on a lesson that I may be struggling on, or continue to do multiple lessons in a day that I already have down.

This system in genius. The DVD is perfect for listening and watching learners. For reading learners, the text book has the DVD's lesson written down. Physical learners can use the manipulatives to form the problems with their hands and fully understand. All around, the system was designed for every learner and is perfect for families that have children with multiple learning forms.

I have found Math U See to be very helpful for me in my education. I appreciate the quality and creativity of the system and I am enjoying it as my new math curriculum. I would like to thank Math U See for the complimentary Pre Algebra system that they gave me for my honest review. It is a wonderful curriculum that is perfect for every person's learning needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!