Monday, January 26, 2015

Imperfections Shadowed by the Heart

I always hear these sayings about how everyone needs to "be themselves". You need to be boldly you. If this is true, why do I keep getting the impression that I am so different and it is a bad thing? I am being myself boldly. I am not letting others say who I should be, I am independent and just being me. So why do I keep being told I am doing it wrong?

Apparently, I am not being the "right me" to fit their grid. I like too many action movies. I dress too thrifty. I don't wear make up everyday I leave the house. I don't enjoy romances in stories. I still play with toys. I love Disney Princesses, but I also love Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings. 

Well, I learned these all do not fit the bill for "being myself". Why must people put others down for not being exactly like them? I am so guilty of judging from the outside, not taking the time to dig deeper and know who these people are. Push forward to look at other's hearts. So many people are judged by what everyone sees on the outside. Why can't we start judging by who people really are on the inside? 

For God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but
 the Lord looks at the heart.
 1 Samuel 16:7b

Other people can judge us for not being like them. There will always be people in this world that we are not like. They may see us as strange or imperfect. Through it all, we must press on knowing that there is someone who understands us. He sees who we really are. He loves the person underneath the imperfections. He can see past it all. 
The outward appearance means nothing to the one who fashions hearts.

-Melody

1 comment:

  1. This is so true Melody! Great post! By the way, I nominated you for the Liebster Award! There's a post about it here: Liebster Award n' Stuff

    xo HK

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!